Monday, March 1, 2010

Waterfalls and Sandwiches


We headed up to Sonoma County over President's Day weekend and stopped on our way back down to the city to do the 8.5mile hike to Alamere Falls. A beautiful walk into the Bay Area fog... coming out into sunshine along the coastline... ending in a 30ft cascade down into the Pacific.


The hike was beautiful and exactly the sort of experience that makes me so happy to live in California.


However, we began walking at 12:00pm without having lunch or packing food, and our round-trip time was just about four hours.


As I tend to get cranky without regular food intake, the last hour or so got me pretty antsy.


For some reason, as my hunger grew, my mind kept focusing in on this hypothetical sandwich:




GRILLED CHEESE, GRANNY SMITH APPLE, AND HONEY.


I promised my stomach that if it would leave me in peace until the hike's completion, I would reward it with this sandwich as soon as humanly possible. "As soon as humanly possible" ended up being several weeks later, but so goes the follow-through on promises made under duress.

The cheese (Cowgirl Creamery (?) aged white cheddar) and honey (Marshall Farms Beekepers Blend) came from the weekend Farmer's Market at the Ferry Building, which is more like a gourmet food festival than any market I've ever seen.

And it all came together with my second attempt at home-baked bread: whole wheat loaf. Served with a side salad of mixed greens, tangerine, cranberries, and balsamic vinaigrette.














Although, after all 8.5 miles of sandwich and freshly-baked bread, my favorite result from the adventure was apple slice, spread with thick honey, topped with local aged cheese.

1 comment:

  1. that hike looks gorgeous. jealous of you californians who get to go on hikes in the winter!

    ReplyDelete