Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sweet Potato Spinach Quinoa



My fall-back meal after a day of work used to be a Greek-inspired pasta dish of whole-wheat penne; sauteed bell peppers, zucchini and broccoli; and feta cheese. However, with my discovery of quinoa last year, I've taken to throwing whatever produce I have into a one-stop-pot for a protein-rich grain dish.

Last week I bought a sweet potato and a bunch of organic spinach from the Japanese grocery store by my bus stop. Tossed it all in a boiling pot with 1 cup of mixed red and white quinoa and 1/2 cup of Trader Joe's Harvest Grains Blend (primarily Israeli couscous), and voila! Dinner plus three rounds of leftovers.

2 comments:

  1. i wish i liked quinoa more. it's so good for you. but there's just something about the taste i don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... Do you like couscous? I've found that more people have a problem with the texture of quinoa rather than the taste. You can also try rinsing and draining it thoroughly before cooking. It's a step that I don't bother with, but it is supposed to wash off a naturally-occuring bitter substance that protects the grain. I've also tried quinoa pasta (instead of grain form), but I find that to be kind of dry.

    ReplyDelete