Saturday, April 17, 2010

These are a few...

... Of my favorite things.

In my recent absence of cooking, I've been reminiscing back on projects of the past. There are a few ingredients that continue to resurface over and over in my diet. As such, here are five foods that I can always eat, anytime, anywhere:


1. Semisweet chocolate.

I'm sure this goes without saying, but to omit chocolate from the list would be a bold-faced lie. Chocolate chips, bars, truffles, snow caps... Anything of around 60-65% chocolate sets my heart aflutter.



2. Sweet potatoes/yams.

Mashed, baked, french-fried. Served straight up with simple salt and pepper, ketchup, or even a cinnamon-sugar twist (see cinnamon fries on the right).

The reduction of yams at the farmers' market and loss of sweet potato dishes in restaurants is my largest regret about Spring.





3. Real maple syrup.

Grade B is best. Good for including in Teriyaki stir fry or bringing your own vial to brunch.



4. Ripe fruit.

Any kind, anytime, anywhere. When people say that they hate melon, what I know they really mean is that they hate the dry, melon-rind chunks that always get included in store-bought fruit salad. I can't believe that anyone who's ever had a cold, ripe, juicy honeydew on a hot summer day in Greece would ever stand by that claim. Notable mentions: strawberries and blackberries off the vine, pink grapefruit in winter, satsuma tangerines, Fuji apples with aged white cheddar cheese.



5. Feta cheese. In salads, pasta, turkey burgers, casseroles, soups, anything at all!


No comments:

Post a Comment